For the chicken souvlaki:
For each adult, count on having about 4 to 5 ounces of cooked chicken, 10 ounces of uncooked boneless chicken breasts will yield approximately 6 1/2 ounces cooked, while 10 ounces of uncooked boneless chicken thighs will yield about 5 ounces cooked.
- Boneless chicken breast or boneless chicken thighs (approximately 1.5 lb breast or 2 lbs thigh)
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- ¼ bunch of parsley
- 6 tablespoons Greek tzatziki sauce (If you have attended our first ever class you know how to make it 🙂 If not we can send you the recipe)
For the pita bread you will need:
- 1 cup + 3.5 tbsp Greek strained yogurt (full fat preferable)
- 1 ¾ cups + 2 tbsp self raising flour (if you do not have self raising one you can use plain flour and add baking powder. For 1 cup of plain flour you will need 1.5 tsp of baking powder)
- A generous pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the pita bread:
- In a bowl add the yogurt, the flour, salt, oregano, and mix until there is a dough. Ideally wrap with saran wrap and let it rest for 20-30 minutes. However, if you do not have the time then you can continue as normal with the recipe.
- Divide the dough into 4-6 pieces and roll them out into a 4 inch pita, using a rolling pin.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Put one of the pita breads in it and cook for 2 minutes on both sides, until it is cooked through and golden.
- Follow the same process until you finish with all the dough.
- Cut the tomato and the onion into thin slices
- Finely chop the parsley
- Take one pita bread and spread with 1 tbsp tzatziki sauce. Add 1 souvlaki, tomato slices, onion and parsley.
- Wrap and serve.